Tomato chutney is a delicious side dish that goes well with a variety of food items. It is easy to prepare and can act as a side dish as well as a standalone dessert. Since tomato can be found around the year, you can prepare this whenever you feel like eating it.
You can also prepare and store tomato chutney and use it as a dip along with chips and other fried item. It can also be eaten along with staple foods like Dosa, Idly, Dhokla, etc. Since tomatoes are rich in Vitamin A and C, tomato chutney has good nutritional value too. It is certainly a dish that we Indians love, and I have seen many foreigners relish it just like we do.
So let’s now get down to the nitty gritties of how to make this tangy and tasty chutney.
- Red tomatoes (fresh and ripe): 500gms.
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Red chillies (dried ): 1-2
- Cumin seeds (black): 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 500 gm
- Oil (white): 1 -2 teaspoon
Instructions for preparation
- Clean the tomatoes and dice them first horizontally and then vertically.
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop them into small pieces.
- In a deep bottom frying pan, pour oil and heat it.
- Now add the dried red chillies (whole) and the black cumin seeds.
- Let them fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped garlic and the diced tomatoes.
- Stir the contents for a while till the tomatoes soften in the heat.
- Continue this for about 10 to 15 minutes. You will find that the tomato chutney will slowly become semi-solid texture.
- Add the sugar and stir the contents in the frying pan till all of them mix well.
- Keep stirring for around 5 minutes or till the time the sugar dissolves with the tomatoes.
Pour the tomato chutney in a bowl and let it cool down for a while. Your tomato chutney is now ready to serve.