Gajar Ka Halwa or the Carrot Pudding is a very popular dessert that is prepared across India, and its popularity has now spread across the globe. Here you will find the quick and easy recipe for Gajar Ka Halwa that will enable you to prepare this tasty dish in your home.
What is Gajar Ka Halwa?
India is a land of many cultures and religions, each with its own distinct foods. One very popular dish in India is Gajar ka halwa, a sweet dessert made from grated carrots and milk. The dish is often flavored with cardamom, cinnamon, or nuts. Gajar ka halwa is usually served warm or cold and can be eaten as a snack or dessert.
This 100% vegetarian desert is very nutritious and due to its low-fat content, even diabetics can enjoy it. It contains low fat (around 12.19%), which is lower than many other typical South Asian desserts. Preparing it is a must in many Indian homes during the festive season. It is quite easy to prepare and has a medium shelf-life.
Recipe For Gajar Ka Halwa
Gajar ka halwa is a delicious and healthy dessert that is enjoyed by people all over the world. This buttery and creamy dessert is a great way to end a meal.
The main ingredients for Gajar Ka Halwa are freshly grated carrots, dry fruits (almond and raisins), milk, sugar, khoya / dry milk powder, and ghee.
Nowadays carrot, the main ingredient is available around the year. However, they are mainly grown during summer and fall, so Gajar ka halwa tastes the best when prepared during those months.
This recipe for Gajar Ka Halwa is quick and simple. You just need about 40 mins to cook this.
- Time taken for preparing ingredients: Approx 20 mins
- Time taken for cooking: Approx 20 mins
( Serves 4)
- Carrots / Gajar – 1/5 kilo – this needs to be nicely cleaned, peeled, and then grated
- Ghee / clarified butter – about 3 teaspoons
- Milk – about 2.5 cups
- Milk powder – 6 tablespoon
- Kaaju / Cashews – about 6 or 7 pieces (Chopped )
- Kishmish / Raisin – 6 or 7 pieces
- Cardamom / elaichi – 1 tablespoon
- Almond / badam – 10 pieces approximately (chopped)
- Sugar – 4 tablespoons / Sugar-free powder – 8 teaspoons
- Wash and peel the carrots and then grate them. Now, place your non-stick frying pan on a medium flame and add 3 teaspoons of Ghee into the pan. After the Ghee heats up, add the grated carrots and fry them.
- Keep on frying the grated carrots in the Ghee for about 10 minutes. You will see that the color of the carrots would change slightly.
- Cover the pan with the lid and let the carrots steam nicely.
- Open the lid and pour milk into the frying pan and on a low flame, let the carrots boil. You should occasionally stir the carrots to check whether they have boiled. Gently poke the strands to see whether the carrots have boiled. This process would continue for about 10 mins.
- Add sugar / sugar-free, kaaju, kismish, cinnamon powder, and milk powder into the halva. Mix all the ingredients.
- Let milk dry completely. After the halwa is free of water, you need to now garnish it with the remaining chopped cashew nuts, almonds, and raisins.
The Gajar Ka Halwa or carrot pudding is now ready to be served. It tastes better when it is served hot. You can also serve Gajar Ka Halwa along with other desserts like Rasgulla and Gulab jamun.
We hope that you liked this recipe for Gajar Ka Halwa. Did your family members and guests enjoy the dessert? Comment below to let us know. This recipe is not only quick but also easy to follow. The measurements and process are simple enough for even beginners.
If you are looking for more such tasty Indian desserts, then here is the recipe for preparing a tangy Tomato Chutney.